Thursday, June 14, 2007

Gavaarchi Bhaaji

Gavaar bhaaji was not on my list as an entry for RCI Maharashtrian Cuisine! Firstly, I don’t like gavaar, secondly I don’t get it here. But I had to post it. Firstly because my husband loves it, secondly because I found some fresh gavaar yesterday at the Indian store here, thirdly coz I cooked it for my husband yesterday and he loved to taste it nearly after 4-5 yrs and lastly coz I happened to taste it and could find no reason why I haven’t been eating it from so long! :)

Gavaar falls into the beans category, (called gavaarchi sheng in Marathi) popularly eaten as a dry vegetable in Maharashtra. Some people who don’t like to eat gavaar make excuses like “Only gavaar (meaning illiterate in Hindi) eat gavaar (the vegetable)!” It is a dry sabji, and a stir fry one! Not too much of a hassle to cook it and tastes good when served with hot rotis..

Gavaarchi Bhaaji


What you need:

300 gm Gavaar (Cluster beans)
1 big Onion
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1+1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
½ tsp Turmeric
Salt to taste
Oil

How to proceed:

1) Discard the ends of gavaar and cut each into 2-3 pieces of 1 inch each
2) Wash the cut gavaar and cook it in cooker for 1 whistle
3) Heat 1-2 tbsp oil and add cumin seeds to it
4) When the seeds start spluttering, add chopped onion and fry till it is a bit cooked
5) Now add red chilli powder and turmeric and mix for a few secs
6) Now add gavaar and mix well
7) Add salt, mix and cook covered for 5-10 mins
8) Serve hot with chapattis/rotis


5 comments:

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey this one looks so simple to make!!! your blog looks great with all the huge collection of maharastrian dishes!!!

FH said...

Simple and gorgeous!! I don't get Gowar beans here.Great dish for chapatis.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
this looks very simple but delicious.Thanks for sharing

DEEPA said...

very simple and easy one ....looks nice

Arts said...

Thanks Ramya, Asha, Priar and Deepa.. This one is surely simple.. about being called delicious... hmmm.. i might agree now :)