Now that I have learnt to prepare Paneer at home (and am really so glad about it :) ), here’s one of my favourite Paneer dish for RCI Punjabi Cuisine- Palak Paneer. An amazing combination of nutritious Palak and rich Paneer… As a child, I hated Palak.. Palak was just dear when watching "Popeye the sailor man" :D But once I started eating Palak Paneer, I suddenly started finding it good.. Mom used to make this often coz there are very few other leafy vegetables that I eat.. Sometimes wen Paneer was unavailable, she replaced it with boiled aalo(potatoes) to make Aalo Palak.. This is probably the best way to enjoy the iron rich Palak and non- fat cheese.. Enjoy my mom’s recipe of Palak Paneer..
What you need:
1 bunch fresh Palak(Spinach)
250 gm Paneer
1 inch Ginger, chopped
2-3 Green Chillies, chopped
2-3 cloves Garlic,chopped
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 medium sized Onion, sliced
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1-2 tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
3-4 tbsp Oil
How to proceed:
1) Wash and chop Palak coarsely
2) Heat 1 tbsp Oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and green chillies
3) Saute for a min and add chopped palak
4) Add ½ cup Water and cook till the Palak turns soft. When done, keep aside
5) Dice the paneer in 1 inch cubes
6) Heat 2 tbsp Oil in another pan and add Paneer cubes to it
7) Shallow fry them for a minute till they turn golden brown.
8) Set them aside and add cumin seeds to remaining oil
9) Now add onion and cook till it turns transparent.
10) Add tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy
11) When done, turn off heat and set it aside
12) Blend both these mixtures (cooked palak, onion tomato) to pastes, mix them and keep aside.
13) Cook this mixture for 5-10 mins and add salt and sugar as required
14) Add fried Paneer cubes and cook covered for another 5 mins
15) Serve hot with rotis or parathas
* The above ingredients make thick Palak Paneer.. Add more water at step (13) if you wish to make the gravy thin.
* Add cream/ butter while serving if you like.