Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bhatura

Punjabi food is my second favourite after Maharashtrian Food.. So now a month of Punjabi food is gonna be fun after a month of Matthu food :) Thanks to my maternal surname(Mahajan), people consider me to be a Punjabi.. Thanks to my looks (?) gujjus start talking to me in Gujrati :D Few more call me Kashmiri (???????) and a very very few call me Maharashtrian! :D Things are bit better now when people dont get confused with my looks as my only identity here in Pardes is an "Indian" :)

Punjabi food is very famous in all nooks n corners of India. Be it in posh restaurant in cities or on the roadside Dhabasa on highways.. There is always a rush of people wanting to please their appetite with the "rich" Punjabi food :) Since I am not a figure conscious person, I am an absolute fan of Punjabi food... The oh so rich Paneer items and the array of Parathas with a generous topping of ghee and makkhan.. Ufff... Whats the use of fasting today if I keep thinking of such things!!

Bhatura,a (fried) bread native to Punjab, is my first entry for RCI Punjabi Cuisine hosted by the lovely Richa.. Bhatura is usually served with spicy gravies but makes a perfect jodi with masaledaar chole.. Bhaturas seem to consume and retain less oil than Puris and hence I make them often! Easy to make with some preparation in advance, they are also more filling than puris or rotis.. 2-3 bhaturas make a good midday meal..

Bhatura



Makes:

7-8 Bhaturas

What you need:

1 cup Plain Flour (Maida)
1 tbsp Semolina
2 tbsp Sour Yoghurt
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
Oil for frying

How to proceed:

1) Mix all ingredients with 1 tsp Oil and knead to a stiff dough.
2) Cover and keep aside for 4-5 hrs
3) Divide into small balls and roll bhaturas to desired size.
4) Deep fry on both sides
5) Drain excess oil on tissues and serve hot puffed bhaturas with spicy Punjabi Sabjis!

4 comments:

Richa said...

bhalley! bhalley! bhaturas look yum!
tu parat busy zhali ahes :) tula bharpur padartha yetat, how come? amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Aarti, I was searching for this recipe. Wanted to wait until someone posted the one that they tried at home. These look fabulous. Thanks for sharing

Arts said...

Richa,
Ata saipak karaila laglyawar yenarach na ;)

Hima,
I am glad u found my recipe on time.. let me know how ur bhaturas turned out!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

What do u mean by semolina..?
Is it Rava... (if yes then which kind...
Upma rava, idly rava, chiroti rava or what?