Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Pa Thong Ko [Thai Donuts]


Glenna is hosting the Weekend Breakfast Blogging(WBB) event this month and has come up with a lovely theme- Ethnic Dishes with a Twist! She wanted "a dish from a culture, country, or ethnicity other than your own".. In my opinion, nothing can beat the Indain breakfast with a wide variety of dishes like Pohe, Upma, Thalippeth, Idli, Dosa, Vada Sambar, Puri Bhaaji etc..... A coward that I am when it comes to trying dishes from cuisines other than Indian, google was the only thing that could help..My fear is not due to the taste but because I dont eat meat and am allergic to eggs, pineapples and several other things :( Finally I settled down for an easy Thai breakfast dish called "Pa Thong Ko" literally meaning salted donuts which I followed from here. A lovely crispy dish, which would go best with hot cocoa or chocolate but I enjoyed with coffee.. Btw, I am not a breakfast person.. I am allergic to that too. :( I get a nauseatic feeling if i eat something early moning.. So its just an apple/juice at 10 am and then directly shortcut lunch.. But a lavish tea biscuit session at 4 and then proper dinner.. So these coffee and donuts served as my 4 pm breakfast yesterday :) Tastes much like Indian namkeen.. Why shouldnt? Afterall whats the difference between burger and vada pav?? :D


Pa Thong Ko



Preparation Time:

30 mins (4 hrs for dough)

Makes:

10-12 Donuts

What you need:

1 cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
1/3 cup Water
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2-3 drope of Lemon
1 tsp Oil
Oil for frying

How to proceed:

1) Mix all the ingredients and make a stiff dough
2) Place dough in a bowl,cover with a thin damp cloth and leave aside for 3-4 hrs
3) Knead the dough and make 2 equal parts
4) Place oil in a wok for frying
5) Shape them long like sausages
6) Roll to a long strip 4-5 cm wide
7) Cut into 5-6 equal rectangular parts widthwise
8) For each part, cut 2 cms from each side in the middle, leaving them joint in the middle and pull each of the 4 parts aside to make an X shape
9) Deep fry in oil till they turns golden brown

* Tastes best when dipped for a minute in hot chocolate!

13 comments:

FH said...

That is so cool and a different recipe for breakfast! Looks delicious!!I would eat those like a snack at 4pm too!:D

Roopa said...

looks nice snack i would'nt mind for breakfast too!nice entry!

Sreelu said...

Aarthi,
reminds me of muruku we make except for the sugar part.
Girl a good breakfast is key try to have it (ok I sound like a mother hen!! )

Finla said...

Hi Aarti
You had put a comment on my blog so i thought i will cheeck out yours.
I have never ate Thai Donuts.
It looks good
So you are from Ghent.
We are hust living 50 km from each other.
I am living in Knokke.

TBC said...

hmm...I've never heard of this before but your donuts look really nice.

Nupur said...

This is such a unique shape...they look like chromosomes :D cute!
This would make such a wonderful breakfast. And did you say "dip them in hot chocolate"??? Mmmmm....

Richa said...

wow!such a cute shape :) ing jara aplya shankarpali sarkhe ahet

bha said...

thai donuts, interesting recipe also

Anonymous said...

good recipe. I dont mind to eat it as a snack....and when dipped in choclate must be tasting heavenly.....

Glenna said...

Aarti--Yum! I'm eating breakfast as I type and I wish I had a plate of these in front of me. Thanks for participating in breakfast blogging.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

hi bros. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that exact make. The prices for the velcros were all over 310 bucks on every site. But finally I set this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what do you think?