Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Rawa Laddu

When it comes to microwave cooking, I am *scared*.. A friend packing up to go back to India left his microwave(without the book of instructions) at our place 2 months back.. It took us one month to take time to check if it was in good condition.. We then started using it for re-heating veggies and at times cooking rice.. When Srivalli announced the "microwave easy cooking" event, I discovered that I was the only one in this blog world who was afraid to load the microwave with any tough tasks! Looking at some other real tough entries for making desserts in microwave, I decided to try making something on the easier side... Also since Srivalli had extended the deadline for accepting entries, I had to make something! Finally I tried my hubby's favourite sweet, Rawa Laddus, last weekend.. This is a very common sweet at my place, and I need to make it twice a month, at times investing 2-3 hours.. The laddus in microwave turned equally good, and saved me a lot of time n efforts.. With my college starting next week I was worried how I gonna cater to my husband's wish for a continuous supply of these and besan laddus, but now am totally relaxed about this :) Thanks Srivalli for this event and other bloggers , I am no more afraid of experimenting with the microwave now :D Am sharing both ways the normal one and the microwave one...

Rawa/Semolina/Suji Laddu



*Total* Preparation Time:

1.5-2 hrs normally
Less than 1 hr in microwave

Makes:

10-12 big Laddus

What you need:

2 cups Fine Semolina/Rawa/Suji
1.5 cups Powdered Sugar
3/4 cup Ghee
1 tsp Powdered Cardamom
8-10 Cashews cut into pieces (Optional)
12-15 Raisins (Optional)

How to proceed:

1) Place rawa in a microwave safe bowl and add ghee to it.. Mix well and place in microwave on high for 6 mins
2) Keep stiring in between at interval of every one minute.. (6 mins)
[In case not using microwave:
*1) Heat ghee in a pan and add semolina to it
*2) Roast on low medium stiring constantly till u smell aroma of rawa.. (30-40 mins)
This procedure usually takes 30 mins or so and your hands tend to retire before the rolling of laddus starts!
Follow rest of the steps as below]
3) When done, remove and set aside to cool in a wide plate (30 mins)
4) Once cool, add powdered sugar cardamom and nuts and mix well to remove lumps. I prefer not adding any nuts to rawa laddus.
5) Roll laddus with hand.
6) If they break easily and are hard to roll, add 2-3 tbsp hot melted ghee and then try rolling in circular shape..
7) Store in air tight container and enjoy for next few days!

The above snap is of microwave rawa laddus..Have a look at the ones I made 2-3 weeks back.. Dont both look equally mouth watering???? :)


* From now on, the microwave will be used to the fullest ;)

19 comments:

Rajitha said...

first besan laddo ..now rava ladoo.. i am loving it, the sucky part is not being close to where u live :(

Arts said...

Thx Rajitha,
But luckily u have all other great cooks near u..Most bloggers frm US and rest frm India.. I think I am the only one out here all alone!

Finla said...

looks good, i should try this.
hey arts you don't have to worry just give me a mail, i'll come from 50 km to eat these delicious looking laddus :-))))

Tee said...

masta jhale aahet ladoo!! mi pan try karun baghin diwali saathi. :)

Rajesh &Shankari said...

my husband loves rava ladoo, i shd try this version

Richa said...

ladu pharach chan disat ahet, a must try :)u make them every month.....WOW

Sreelu said...

Aarti,
Hey did not know that you can make rava laddu's in MV. I always wonder how would have life been without MV,glad you started using it, now I am sure you can't stop

Arts said...

Happy Cook,
U can surely drop in anytime.. :)just mail me few hrs in advance so that I will stay home!

Tee,
Me pan ujhe besan ladu try karel.. but cant wait for diwlai :D

Hey Shankari,
Do try.. He'll love it!

Richa,
Twice every month :) Rawa ani besan ladu as well!!

Sreelu,
U bet i cant!!I agree, life is easy with inventions.. Dunno what wud be coming next :d

evolvingtastes said...

Aarti, rawyache laadoo are my favorite, but never had the courage to try them because the recipes I had called for making a 'pakka pak' and what not. I look forward to trying out this easier recipe. Your ladoos look perfect.

Kajal said...

WOW you make Rawa ladu I also make it but some different style. Looks very delicious.:)

Srivalli said...

Rava Ladoo looks so tempting...thanks for the lovely entry.

Swaruchy said...

Ur rava laddoo looks simply delicious aarti.......Thanks for the easy microwave recipe :-)

Sharmi said...

this recipe is real worthy trying. I have bookmarked it. very delicious looking laddus.

Namratha said...

I simply adore rava ladoos and was actually planning to make some but have been putting it off all along because of the time factor...hehe...your microwave recipe simply rocks! Now I can put my microwave to some good use :)

Meera said...

Oh, why didn't I check these out for Diwali!!!:-( They look absoloutely delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

I used the regular rawa and found it was very coarse. should i grind it in a mixie

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ohydozar.kogaryu.com/nihuqit.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://avezyjyxi.builtfree.org/dybonom.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]