When it comes to microwave cooking, I am *scared*.. A friend packing up to go back to India left his microwave(without the book of instructions) at our place 2 months back.. It took us one month to take time to check if it was in good condition.. We then started using it for re-heating veggies and at times cooking rice.. When Srivalli announced the "microwave easy cooking" event, I discovered that I was the only one in this blog world who was afraid to load the microwave with any tough tasks! Looking at some other real tough entries for making desserts in microwave, I decided to try making something on the easier side... Also since Srivalli had extended the deadline for accepting entries, I had to make something! Finally I tried my hubby's favourite sweet, Rawa Laddus, last weekend.. This is a very common sweet at my place, and I need to make it twice a month, at times investing 2-3 hours.. The laddus in microwave turned equally good, and saved me a lot of time n efforts.. With my college starting next week I was worried how I gonna cater to my husband's wish for a continuous supply of these and besan laddus, but now am totally relaxed about this :) Thanks Srivalli for this event and other bloggers , I am no more afraid of experimenting with the microwave now :D Am sharing both ways the normal one and the microwave one...
*Total* Preparation Time:
1.5-2 hrs normally
Less than 1 hr in microwave
10-12 big Laddus
What you need:
2 cups Fine Semolina/Rawa/Suji
1.5 cups Powdered Sugar
3/4 cup Ghee
1 tsp Powdered Cardamom
8-10 Cashews cut into pieces (Optional)
12-15 Raisins (Optional)
How to proceed:
1) Place rawa in a microwave safe bowl and add ghee to it.. Mix well and place in microwave on high for 6 mins
2) Keep stiring in between at interval of every one minute.. (6 mins)
[In case not using microwave:
*1) Heat ghee in a pan and add semolina to it
*2) Roast on low medium stiring constantly till u smell aroma of rawa.. (30-40 mins)
This procedure usually takes 30 mins or so and your hands tend to retire before the rolling of laddus starts!
Follow rest of the steps as below]
3) When done, remove and set aside to cool in a wide plate (30 mins)
4) Once cool, add powdered sugar cardamom and nuts and mix well to remove lumps. I prefer not adding any nuts to rawa laddus.
5) Roll laddus with hand.
6) If they break easily and are hard to roll, add 2-3 tbsp hot melted ghee and then try rolling in circular shape..
7) Store in air tight container and enjoy for next few days!
The above snap is of microwave rawa laddus..Have a look at the ones I made 2-3 weeks back.. Dont both look equally mouth watering???? :)
* From now on, the microwave will be used to the fullest ;)