During school days, picnics for me used to be more to do with food and then with roaming :D My all time favourite picnic food used to be Puri-Bhaji and Methi Parathas.. Mom used to wake up early in the morning to cook lunch for my picnic.. Other timepass foods or snacks would include varieties of homemade chiwdas prepared well in advance or store brought chips, cakes etc.. When Anupama announced the event for Picnic Food- Fun in the Sun, I could think of the easiest, quickest and tastiest snack- Spiced Mamra. This is obviously a snack to be enjoyed during the journey, as a timepass snack, not as lunch since its not filling.. Since I know there would be many entries for lunch category, I thought of this for the snacks category.. A snack that will be loved by all and will be finished off in minutes.. Thats too with minimul fuss and no fear of spoiling.. I usually make 2-3 batches of this snack every weekend.. Minimal ingredients and a few minutes is all it requires.. Can be prepared just before leaving for the picnic!
What you need:
3-4 cups Mamra/Murmura/Puffed Rice
1 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Salt
How to proceed:
1) Heat Oil, add asafoetida and turmeric powder
2) Saute for 5-10 seconds and add mamra and mix well till turmeric is evenly coated on mamra
3) After 2 mins, add chilli powder and salt and mix well..
4) Spiced mamara ready, pack and leave!
* Add fried Peanuts if you like...Add in some shev with chopped Onions, Tomatoes, Raw Mangoes and some Lemon Juice to make mouth watering Bhel!